Tuesday, August 7, 2007

El Cantante Movie Review

I went into this film with very high expectations especially since Hector Lavoe is my favorite singer in my favorite musical genre (salsa). I'm not going to say that I was disappointed, because the film is a must see for anyone who is a fan of salsa. Before we continue, for those of you who don't know what salsa is, need a refresher, or just enjoy salsa, check out Izzy Sanabria's explanation.

check this video out




Back to El Cantante, First the good- Marc Anthony is fantastic as the enigmatic salsa singer who is widely considered the best of all time. Anthony is funny, and makes you truly believe you're watching Lavoe on screen (except for the English). The soundtrack is incredible, Anthony sings all of Lavoe's hits and although he can't replicate Lavoe's voice (who can?) he brings old classics to a new generation.

I won't harp too much on the negatives. I would've liked to know why Lavoe was driven to drugs and other vices. I also would've liked to see for archival footage of the immense Fania Yankee Stadium and Live in Africa concerts. I also would've liked to see less J-Lo in this film. I understand it is Puchi's story (Lavoe's wife) but she seems to be in every scene of the film. Like my co-host on Boston Latino Evelyn Reyes said "I thought it was called El Cantante, not El Cantante's Wife."

Despite those few ticky tacky shortcomings, I hope the film does for salsa what "The Doors" did for classic rock. I hope it sparks a revival that brings back the heavy trombone, trumpet, and descarga driven salsa that defined the era of the 60's and 70's.

I can appreciate the salsa we have now, and enjoy lots of it, but it definitely doesn't compare to the masterpieces of this era. Reggaeton may dominate the charts now but I think the newer generation needs to keep this music alive and not think of salsa as the watered down, everything sounds the same, salsa we get on the radio nowadays (with a few exceptions).

Here is some old school Hector and Willie. I apologize for the quality.



Remember to check us out on www.bostonlatino.tv

also friend us on myspace at www.myspace.com/bostonlatino

and be sure to check out our videos on youtube at http://youtube.com/user/BostonLatinoTV

1 comment:

Diary of a Boricua said...

Hi Gil,

Great idea to include a clip of an introduction to Salsa and another one of the real Hector Lavoe.

It is really hard to find a good review on this film, so here is one http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies/326152_whelcantante03.html.

You can recommend a film even when it is not up for an oscar nomination. I'm just hoping that when it comes out on DVD it also includes the CD ...

- Digna